Thursday, September 20, 2012

My "Mexican Salad"

Typically I avoid anything that involves Mexican food staples tossed in a heap or layered and then "Mexican" added to the beginning of the name.  Things like "mexican salad" or "mexican pizza." But I was pretty impressed with myself with this one.



1. Cilantro Rice. Put raw rice in a small pot (one that has a matching lid!) with enough water so that it's about 1/4" higher than the rice. Bring the water to a boil. When it's boiling, add salt. If you want add a tablespoon of butter too. Stir, then cover and reduce heat to low and let simmer. Do the other things below while it's cooking, about 20 min. Once the rice is done, turn off the heat.  Finely chop about 1 teaspoon of cilantro and mix in. Taste for salt before serving.

2. Salad Prep. Wash and chop (or tear) lettuce into bite size pieces. Chop a tomato (or wash a handful of cherry tomatoes).  I used a combination of regular red tomato and yellow cherry tomatoes because that's what my garden gave me. Drain a can of black beans. I don't like corn but you might, so drain a can of that too. Cut grilled chicken into 1" cubes.

3. Make the Salad. Use a salad plate. Create a bed of cilantro rice in the bottom. Layer black beans on top. Then lettuce. Then add the corn, chicken, and tomato. Top with fresh guacamole and fresh salsa verde.

Now that's a salad! 

Of course, if you have freshly made beans or freshly grilled corn instead of canned, the flavors will be that much more delicious.  But if you're like me, making a pot of beans or getting the grill going every day is not something you have time for.

No comments:

Post a Comment