Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fresh Guacamole!

As a kid is "hated!" avocados and guacamole. It wasn't until I was in college that I dared to try it. Now I know why my mom always said I was crazy...

1. You'll need 6 ripe avocados. Cut each in half all the way around the length of each. Grab each half and twist in opposite directions. Using a sharp knife, remove the pit by quickly chopping into it. Once it has a good grip in the pit, twist and pull it out. Scoop the flesh out into a large bowl.

2. Chop up about a teaspoon of cilantro. One teaspoon is about equal to a loose handful pulled from the bunch. Add to the bowl.

3. Dice 2 ripe large tomatoes (or 4 medium). Add to the bowl.

4. Dice half of a white onion. Into the bowl.

5. Chile: peoples' tolerances for hot&spicy very do much I can't tell you how much to put in. But if you want a light bite, one large jalepeƱo is plenty. If you like spicy, use 2 serranos. Or get daring with a habanero or two. Whatever you use, into the bowl it goes.

6. Mash and mix it all up with a fork until most lumps are gone. Check for salt as needed. And then the secret ingredient: lime juice. Cut a lime into quarters and squeeze juice into the bowl. If the lime wasn't particularly juicy, do a second. Then mix. Check again for salt. Serve with chips!

For a creamier (and potentially more watery) version, put everything in a blender. Transfer in to a bowl and mix well to make sure everything is evenly distributed. But as my boyfriend says "my Mexican soul dies a little bit every time I use the blender."

No comments:

Post a Comment