Saturday, June 21, 2014

Fresh Pesto

I never really liked pesto until I lived in Italy... probably because most pesto in the USA isn't fresh.  Since I've been keeping a summer garden, and basil being a fixture in it, I've started to perfect my pesto recipe.  I think I've gotten it down pretty well.

One of the first time I made pesto, I added arugula 1) because I had some in my garden and 2) I've heard it gives it a more interesting flavor.  Arugula does have a slightly more peppery flavor, so only add it if you're feeling adventurous.


Ingredients

- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh arugula (optional)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 6 cloves garlic, skins on
- 1/2 cup evoo
- salt

1. In a skillet over medium heat, toast the pine nuts.  Then toast the garlic until the skins start to brown.  You can do them at the same time, but the pine nuts will be done quicker than the garlic, so just keep that in mind.  Take both off the heat.  Take the skins off the garlic.





2A. The cheating way:  put the nuts, garlic, basil, arugula and evoo in a blender or food processor.  Blend until smooth.  Add cheese and salt to taste. 

2B. More authentic way: using a molcajete, grind the nuts, garlic, basil and arugula until smooth.  Transfer to a bowl and add the cheese and evoo.  Mix well.  Add salt to taste.

2C. More more authentic way:  use a very sharp mezzaluna or ceramic knife to mince everything (except the cheese & oil) all at once. Mix in cheese and oil  Salt to taste.


Minced garlic and basil using a
ceramic knife


Garlic, basil and cheese.  I thought I had
pine nuts when I started, but apparently
didn't.
Finished product using a ceramic knife

If you're serving with gnocchi, spoon the pesto a little at a time on to the gnocchi and mix.  Add more as needed.  It's very easy to over-pesto your gnocchi so do half teaspoons at a time.




This was my result using the blender

Pesto also goes good on crostini, baguette or other toasted Italian or French bread.  Or on fettuccine.  Or on homemade pizza.


If you let it sit for any amount of time, the oil will start to separate out from the rest.  Just like with guacamole, stir it up and it should be just as good as new.  But try to use it soon after making it.  Like anything with fresh ingredients, it doesn't last long.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting! Good advice. Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete