Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Couscous with Asparagus, Chard and Shrimp

This is what happens when I go grocery shopping with no real shopping list except "I should make something with shrimp this week because it's on sale."  And after having been on vacation for a week in a country that loves fried food, I was in desperate need of greens.

I have no idea what to call this because I just whipped it up and it's so delicious I just had to share it.  It's similar to a previous recipe I posted, but I was amazed at myself for how wonderfully this turned out for me just decided to throw in some asparagus and shrimp.

Ingredients

- 1 bunch of chard
- 1/2 bunch of asparagus (thin stalks are best)
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic (depending how big they are and how much you like)
- 1 lb of uncooked shrimp, deveined and shells removed
- 2 TBL of EVOO
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup water or vegetable/chicken broth
- 2 TBL lemon juice
- salt to taste

1. Separate the stems from the leaves of the chard.  Slice the stems in to 1/4" slices.  Roughly chop the leaves.  Mince the garlic.  Chop the asparagus in to approximately 2inch long sections.

2. In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add garlic and chard stems and saute until soft but before they start to brown.  Add the asparagus and chard leaves.  Meanwhile, bring the water/broth to boil in a separate pot.  Once chard leaves are wilted and asparagus slightly soft (but not mushy), transfer to a large bowl.  

3. If there is not much oil left in the pan, add about a TBL more.  Add shrimp and saute.  Once the water/broth in the pot is boiling, add the couscous and allow to cook.  Once the shrimp is almost done, add 1 TBL of lemon juice to the pan and allow it to cook down.  Transfer cooked shrimp to bowl.

4.  Once the couscous is done, fluff it with a fork.  Mix in the remaining 1 TBL of lemon juice.  Transfer couscous to bowl and mix everything well.  Salt to taste.  Add more lemon juice if desired.


I recommend shelling the shrimp first because it takes so long.  I did it between steps 1 and 2 but then I lost my cooking momentum... Or you can cook them with shells on, but I hate when 75% of my meal involves shelling shrimp and making a mess while I eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment