Friday, October 5, 2012

Fig Jam & Brie Sandwich

A near by restaurant has a delicious fig jam, Brie and green apple grilled cheese sandwich. I've been wanting to recreate it. But fig jam isn't exactly a commonly stocked preserve at grocery stores.... So I decided to try something different.



Every 4 weeks, I get a box of locally grown fruits and veggies. The one I got last week had a basket of figs. After looking up some fig jam recipes I realized I didn't have anywhere. Eat enough to make jam. So I cut the stems off, and using a bean masher, made a fig spread. I left then skins in the spread because I like a variety of textures in my spreads. But you can take them out.  I also added a splash of fig flavored balsamic vinegar to help bring out the flavor.

I used a kaiser roll for this because that's what I had. But it was definitely too much bread for the snack. Sourdough would probably be best. On one half I spread the fig, on the other side I spread Brie. I got "spreadable" Brie for this experiment but you cannot compare it to real Brie. Then add some prosciutto. And it's quite the little snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment